Crossbones Crew Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Battling the Boss

4 posters

Go down

On Battling the Boss Empty On Battling the Boss

Post by Ulysses Stormrunner Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:10 am

What follows is the Most Lamentable Account of the Crushing Failure to free the Black Pearl from the clutches of the Nefarious Navy.

Me Tale begins, as many do, innocently enough. Near the Tortuga dock, I spied a Motley Collection of Pirates standing about. Now, this bein' in the Land of TEST, it is Uncommon to find such a Group and so I approached them. They were puttin’ together a Crew to retrieve Captain Jack’s Beloved Pearl and asked me to join ‘em. As they looked to be a Fine, Experienced Bunch -- with Numbers mostly in the High 20s and low 30s -- I heartily signed on.

But things got confusin’ thereafter. Since there had been Previous Problems with getting a Crew out to the Pearl, no one seemed quite certain how to proceed. During this time, several of the Pirates disappeared, leavin’ the Group smaller than I thought it’d be. Then, as I waited for Things to get Sorted Out, I received an Unexpected Invitation to join in a Game of Treasure Maps. I ignored this Irritation, as did several others -- until Another Pirate said that we needed to accept the Game of Treasure Maps in order to join the Quest to save the Pearl! (Makes no sense, does it?) I hurriedly pulled the Spyglass out of me Sea Chest and, with only 12 seconds left, accepted the Invitation.

Having accepted, I then became Witness to the Petty Bickering of a couple of the Navy Scum guarding the Black Pearl. As their Argument intensified, it provided the Distraction necessary to sneak past ‘em and board the Pearl. I was then plunged into Utter Darkness for a minute or more, during which time I feared I was trapped in some Weird Limbo or had otherwise been Given the Boot. My fears were in vain, however, as the Darkness eventually lifted and I found meself standing on the deck of the Black Pearl!

There was scarcely a Moment to Rejoice in our New Surroundings, though, before we found ourselves surrounded by Redcoats with Red Numbers above their Heads. The Navy had obviously stationed some of their High Level Officers onboard -- half dozen of ‘em, at least. (I didn’t make an Exact Count, as I was more interested in stayin' Alive!) Fortunately, our Crew had some Expert Doll Wielders, who were able to snare most of the Navy Scum and lead ‘em on a Merry Chase ‘round the deck. Unfortunately, we lost Two of our Crew: Young Pirates in their ‘teens, who were unable to survive the slashing of Navy Cutlasses. With our Initial Group of 7 now down to 5, I feared the Rest of Us would be joinin’ ‘em soon…

Having vanquished the Redcoats, a Lady Pirate took the Helm, while we stationed ourselves at the Cannon: 2 Pirates on each side. I ran to one of the Cannon situated on the Bow -- that bein’ me Favorite Position on a Frigate -- but being Uncertain if that would be Best for this Endeavor, I returned to the Starboard Side. ‘Twas just in time, too, as 4 Frigates (similar to the Navy Centurions we see on the High Seas) entered the Harbor to snare the Pearl. Each Gunner targeted a different Frigate, and we made Short Work of ‘em. I was usin’ basic Round Shot, and sunk me Target before others who were using Thunderbolt. Methinks ye be wantin’ to go for the Quick Kill here, Mates, and, unless ye can Rapidly Reload, the Load & Shoot time for Thunderbolt might not be yer best choice for doin’ that. 'Course having more Gunners would make this point Moot.

Although we took a bit o’ Damage, once the Frigates were sunk, the Pearl set sail. But our Way Out of the Harbor was Blocked by Drawbridges with Stone Towers that fired upon our ship. To pass through, we would need to Destroy each Stone Tower with Cannon Fire in order to open the Bridge.

Once again using a combination of Round Shot and Thunderbolt, we did a Fine Job on the Towers of the First Bridge. Though sustaining more Damage, the Pearl seemed to be in Good Shape, and I felt our Enterprise might yet succeed.

But it was the Second Bridge that would prove to be Our Downfall. Those Sneaky Navy Scum had set a trap by raising the Second Bridge, enticing our Captain to sail straight through. But, though the Bridge was open, its Towers were still Active and only Too Willing to fire upon us. Although I continued to Bombard these Towers as we sailed past, the rest of the Crew -- perhaps not realizing the Trap that had been Set and the Danger the Second Bridge Towers still posed -- were already focusin’ their Attentions on the Towers of the Third Bridge ahead.

And so we were Trapped between a Rock and a Hard Place, with nowhere to go but a Watery Grave….

I somehow survived the Sinking of the Pearl, and awoke to find meself in a Jail Cell on Tortuga. Though Groggy, I busted out, along with 2 of me Mates. Once out in the Fresh Sea Air, we spoke of our Adventure and agreed that the Failure to disable the Second Towers was key to our Defeat. Losing Crew Members upon boarding had also been a Very Unfortunate Event.

Surprisingly, the Captain never appeared to discuss what had occurred. I would have liked to hear Her Perspective, as there may have been Factors Involved of which we were Unaware. Was there a Reason to sail straight through the Second Bridge? Did She see something we could not? Or did She, as we surmise, simply fall into a Clever Navy Trap? Sadly, I do not have the answers to these questions.

My Fervent Wish is that the Most Excellent Crossbones Crew learn the Obvious Lessons contained herein: To Enlist sufficient Able-Bodied Crew to survive the boarding and to effectively man the Cannons; To Use the Quickest, Most Efficient Ammunition yer Pirate possesses; and To Destroy Each and Every Tower along the way. If Ye do these things, then Ye may just make it out to face Goliath. What happens then, Mate, I do not presently know. But ‘tis My Intention to find out….
Ulysses Stormrunner
Ulysses Stormrunner

Number of posts : 16
Current Notoriety : L37
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Back to top Go down

On Battling the Boss Empty Re: On Battling the Boss

Post by Dog Bones Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:21 am

Tis a lesson learned mate. Thank ye fer that tale. When they brings the challenge to us, we'll be meeting it head on. I hopes I get the chance ta do battle along side ye mate and glad ye made it out of the test with all yer bits and pieces.
Dog Bones
Dog Bones

Number of posts : 44
Current Notoriety : current lvl 40
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik the Awful Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:58 pm

aye, tis noble of you to be passing on the secrets of the Black Pearl! (and nobler still to not have forced the lady captain to walk the plank following that failed escapade. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and mutter "arrrgh! women drivers...")
Erik the Awful
Erik the Awful

Number of posts : 57
Current Notoriety : On Battling the Boss Lvlup_10
Registration date : 2008-01-22

http://www.myspace.com/earlrayerickson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Heartstabber Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Your gonna be having some salted Plankwood tonite me matey for that lil remark Laughing .....LOL
Kat Heartstabber
Kat Heartstabber

Number of posts : 9
Location : A Hop, Skip and Jump from the Happiest Place on Earth
Current Notoriety : lvl 34
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik the Awful Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 am

well... with a bit of catsup I guess it will go down...along with me foot...

of course you know the comment could not have been aimed at present company, the exceptional women captains of the Crossbones Crew be excepted!
Erik the Awful
Erik the Awful

Number of posts : 57
Current Notoriety : On Battling the Boss Lvlup_10
Registration date : 2008-01-22

http://www.myspace.com/earlrayerickson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat Heartstabber Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:35 pm

LOL...Nice save Erik lol! Course I may bite that plank too when its my turn to give it a go. affraid
Kat Heartstabber
Kat Heartstabber

Number of posts : 9
Location : A Hop, Skip and Jump from the Happiest Place on Earth
Current Notoriety : lvl 34
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: